Prep 25 mins
Cook 54 mins
I first had "Duck Rouladen with Morel Sauce" at a very upscale restaurant here in Albuquerque. It was so delicious, that I begged the chef for the recipe. She didn't give me the recipe, but she did give me the ingredients. I then experimented a few times until I got it right. Treat yourself & make it with Duck Breasts, although Chicken Breasts are also very good.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce dried morel
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch red swiss chard
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, flattened
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- 2 black trumpet mushrooms
- In a small heavy saucepot boil water with sugar, without stirring, until a golden caramel.
- Remove pot from heat& carefully add red-wine vinegar& 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar down side of pan.
- Stir mixture over moderate heat until caramel is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a heavy saucepan sautè the Morel Mushrooms in butter, stirring over moderate heat until the liquid from the mushrooms is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms with a slotted spoon to a bowl& reserve.
- Add shallots& garlic to pan& cook, stirring until golden.
- Stir in wine& boil until reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken broth& the reserved morel soaking liquid& reduce to about 1 1/4 cups, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat& stir in caramel mixture, chives& parsley.
- Add mushrooms to sauce with salt& pepper to taste.
- If desired, stir in additional Balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon at a time& lemon juice.
- Wilt the red chard& set aside.
- Slightly season the flattened breasts with salt, pepper,& just a little bit of allspice (do not overdo allspice).
- Place each breast onto a leaf of Chard.
- Place a sautèed black trumpet mushroom in the middle of each breast.
- Place Morel mushroom mix in middle of each breast.
- Roll up the breasts.
- Wrap each breast in saran wrap& then tie both ends together, which will keep the saran wrap from opening.
- Cook in boiling water 16 minutes for medium rare.
- Remove& serve topped with the Morel Sauce.
- NOTE: This recipe is best with duck breasts, rather than chicken breasts, but duck breasts can only be gotten in a specialty gourmet store& are usually expensive.
- However, if you wish to really treat yourself or impress someone, use duck breasts.