Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are from the delicious TexMex cuisine that are like fried burritos. Posted for ZWT.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, pieces
- lard (or oil for sauteing and as needed)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb ground chicken (or beef)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 12 flour tortillas, warmed
- vegetable oil, for frying
- shredded cheddar cheese (or queso Panela)
- sour cream, as needed
- salsa, as needed
- shredded lettuce, as needed
- sliced black olives, as needed
- In skillet, saute bacon and onions in lard for 3 minutes.
- Lower heat & add chilies, salt, oregano, chili powder and cilantro; simmer -3 minutes.
- Add cooked & shredded chicken & tomatoes. Combine well and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Place 1/2 cup meat filling on each tortilla.
- Fold like a burrito with the ends tucked inside.
- Fry, seam side down, in 1/2 inch of hot oil, until mildly crispy and tan.
- Flip and brown other side. Drain on paper towels or strainer.
- Serve on a plate and top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and salsa.
- Garnish around the chimichanga some shredded lettuce and top lettuce with chopped tomatoes and sliced black olives,.
Excellent! We had these for dinner tonight. I halved the recipe easily, using the whole can of chiles. I used ground beef. Since there were no instructions for the beef, I lightly browned it and then added the diced bacon and onions and finished until all were cooked and followed as directed. Next time I would like to use shredded chicken vs. the ground chicken and add some mexican corn. Didn't get to take pic. Very good. Made for Ausie Swap #33.
Yum! I used happynana's suggestion of shredded chicken, and it was great! I omitted the salt (personal preference). I had a little extra filling and found that it was great over the salad as a kind of taco salad-type dish. I also garnished with some homemade guacamole. Thanks for sharing!
Simply yummy! I had 2 of the beef and couldn't wait to have them again! I just used regular oregano because I couldn't find the Mexican. Worked great! We will have these often.