Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Company's Coming - made them for a potluck and everyone loved them, and I didn't tell a soul how easy they were. :) I didn't really measure the spices - just guess-timated! You can use margarine instead of butter and dried thyme if you don't have fresh!
- Melt the first amount of butter in a large frying pan on medium then add onion, cooking for 5 to 10 min, stirring oftern until softened.
- Add apple, stir, and reduce heat to med-low, cooking for about 20 min, stirring occasionally until onion is very soft and golden - transfer to med bowl and cool for 10 minute.
- Add next 5 ingredients to bowl (chicken to pepper) and mix well.
- Lay pastry sheets on top of each other and cut in half crosswise, making 12 sheets.
- Place 1 sheet on work surface with long side closest to you, keeping remaining sheets covered with a damp tea towel to keep them from drying out.
- Brush sheet with melted butter and cut sheet in half crosswise. Put about 1 tbsp chicken mixture on lowest end of 1 half sheet, about an inch from the edge.
- Fold bottom edge over chicken mixture, then fold in sides, and roll up from the bottom, fully enclosing filling (kind of like wrapping a baby burrito!).
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet with sides and cover with a separate damp towel.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and chicken mixture.
- brush top of rolls with any remaining melted butter and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes until pastry is golden and chicken is no longer pink!
Wow this was really fantastic! I was a bit labour intensive wrapping all the phyllos but soooo worth it! I added a bit of goat cheese to half and it also added a really nice flavour as well (though I think I prefer the original ones). Thanks for sharing this is definitely a keeper!!