Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This adaptation of Indonesian Chicken Satay (found on the net) is very quick to cook - serve peanut sauce on the side! The prep time doesn't include marinating.
- Cut the chicken lengthwise into 1/4 inch (1/2 cm) strips- you'll get about 4 or 5 strips from each breast.
- Thread these strips zigzag fashion onto bamboo skewers, about 3 or 4 strips per skewer.
- Don't squash the zigzags too tightly- leave them loosely threaded so the marinade can soak in.
- Arrange the skewers in a glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade ingredients& pour over the chicken skewers in the baking dish; allow to marinate, refrigerated, for at least one hour, but no longer than three or else the chicken will disintegrate.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce.
- In a blender combine all the sauce ingredients and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour into a small bowl.
- Preheat the barbecue, then grill chicken skewers over medium heat, brushing lightly with the marinade, about 5 minutes per side.
- The chicken should be cooked through but not dried out.
Perhaps it was the curry powder that I used, but this recipe just didn't seem to have a lot of flavor. After marinating for a little over an hour, the chicken was still missing something. I thought that the peanut sauce would provide the missing flavor, but we still didn't care for this. I am sorry. This wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't make it again with adding some additional herbs or spices to the marinade.
Wow! This was a new taste for my family, but we all agree 5*! This was so easy to do. I followed the instructions exactly, cooked for exactly 5 minutes on each side, and was rewarded with nice, juicy, flavorful chicken strips. The dipping sauce is wonderful too. I left in marinade for 1 1/4 hours & that was plenty because my chicken was just starting to get mushy. Next time I will leave in marinade only 1 hour tops. Thanks Country Lady!