Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
This dish was a hit for us. 6 stars. I used chicken tenders added in just a bit of butter and flour and sauted with the spices before adding the water. I made everything in a dutch oven and probably more thand doubled the seasonings as I just mentally measure and it was a beautiful sauce. I aslo added the whole preserved lemon chopped up and added fresh garlic,chickpeas and potato to make it a one dish meal. Thanks this recipe goes into my favs. Made for Ramadan Tag 09.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smen
- 1⁄2 preserved lemon, rinsed (rind only, sliced)
- 1⁄3 cup green olives, cracked & pitted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large tagine over medium-low heat. Add the onion & parsley then cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water then add all the spices, smen, lemon, & olives. Salt & pepper the chicken then add to the tagine.
- Cover with a lid, cook for 1 hour. Uncover, turn the chicken over then continue to cook (covered) for 45 minutes.