Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This has fewer ingredients than most similar recipes but no less flavor. If you don't have a tagine a Dutch oven may be used. (Note: If time allows, marinate the chicken overnight before beginning to assemble the tagine)
- 1 whole chicken, quartered
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried ground turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (coriander)
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small preserved lemon, quartered
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2-1 cup olive
- Place diced onions and garlic evenly over the base of a tagine.
- Mix spices, salt, pepper, parsley, cilantro and water in a bowl. Place chicken pieces in the marinade, coating all sides and place on top of the onions and garlic. Pour the remaining marinade over and around the chicken and add the preserved lemon slices and drizzle the chicken with oil.
- Set the tagine on the stove over medium to medium-high heat (be sure to use a heat diffuser). Place the lid on the tagine and begin simmering. .After about 10 to 15 minutes, turn the pieces over. Replace the lid and continue simmering.
- Turn the chicken one or two more times.
- After about 30 minutes of cooking, add the olives and replace the lid.
- Total cooking time with be around 45 minutes.
- Before removing from the heat, be sure to check that it's cooked through and tender.
- Serve in the tagine when it is done cooking.