1 hr 5 mins
This has fewer ingredients than most similar recipes but no less flavor. If you don't have a tagine a Dutch oven may be used. (Note: If time allows, marinate the chicken overnight before beginning to assemble the tagine)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, quartered
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried ground turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (coriander)
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small preserved lemon, quartered
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2-1 cup olive
- 1Place diced onions and garlic evenly over the base of a tagine.
- 2Mix spices, salt, pepper, parsley, cilantro and water in a bowl. Place chicken pieces in the marinade, coating all sides and place on top of the onions and garlic. Pour the remaining marinade over and around the chicken and add the preserved lemon slices and drizzle the chicken with oil.
- 3Set the tagine on the stove over medium to medium-high heat (be sure to use a heat diffuser). Place the lid on the tagine and begin simmering. .After about 10 to 15 minutes, turn the pieces over. Replace the lid and continue simmering.
- 4Turn the chicken one or two more times.
- 5After about 30 minutes of cooking, add the olives and replace the lid.
- 6Total cooking time with be around 45 minutes.
- 7Before removing from the heat, be sure to check that it's cooked through and tender.
- 8Serve in the tagine when it is done cooking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken, Olive and Preserved Lemon Tagine (Djej M’qualli)
Serving Size: 1 (510 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 861.3
- Calories from Fat 586
- Total Fat 65.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 358.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 58.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: