Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
My family has loved this casserole for years. I don't remember where I got this, and I was surprised not to find this same one on Zaar, but it's so easy and tasty I thought I would share it. I've been unable to find Ore-Ida Cheddar Browns here lately, I don't know if they quit making them or what, so I just use plain hashbrown squares and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. I always double this recipe and use a 9X13, and still it never lasts long! It's one of those dishes that just doesn't seem lowfat. My husband calls it one of his "hurt me meals" because he always eats too much! Enjoy!
- 4 squares frozen hash browns with cheddar cheese, Ore-Ida Cheddar Browns
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes with jalapeno peppers (such as Ro-tell)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Arrange the 4 frozen Cheddar Browns in bottom of an 8" casserole sprayed with cooking spray.
- Add cooked chicken in an even layer.
- Mix together soup and canned tomato/jalapeno.
- Pour this mixture over chicken.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until potatoes are done and sauce in bubbly hot.
Besides the spicy tomatoes, I found this rather bland. Very easy to make, but lacking in flavor.
I loved this! The kids are still a little undecided about it though. I topped it with shredded cheese in the oven & then garnished it with sour cream, olives and chopped tomatoes. I never would have thought to put Rotel and mushroom soup together, but it was great! A nice change of pace from all of the enchilada bake recipes you find on here. Thanks for posting!
Delicious! I used regular hash browns, instead of the squares since that was what I had :) I loved it! Especially with a dollop of sour cream - I'll definitely be making this again. After making this a few more times, I substituted fresh shredded potatoes for the hash browns - I let them brown while I cooked the chicken. Also delicious!