Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 large free-range chicken, jointed
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3 lbs canned tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs prepared fresh okra
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- chopped parsley
- black pepper
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces.
- Place the oil in a wide saucepan and, when hot, fry the chicken pieces on both sides until they become golden.
- Take the chicken out, add and fry the onion and garlic until they are pale brown.
- Add the oregano, thyme, tomatoes and water, pressing them with a wooden spoon to break them up.
- Bring to the boil.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the chicken pieces, cover and cook the chicken for 20 minutes and then add 1 1/2 lbs of prepared okra on top.
- The okra should sit in but not be covered by the sauce.
- Add a little water if needed.
- Shake the pan and cook slowly for about 30 minutes without stirring, but rotating the saucepan occasionally.
- Continue cooking until the water has evaporated and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.