Recipe by kzbhansen
This is such a great soup, Comfort food for a cold day!!! I got it out of one of those church type recipe books cant remember which. I hope you enjoy. I like chunkier soups so I sometimes add more of the rice and barley.
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- wylers chicken bouillon granule, to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a large soup pot and cover completely with water.
- Bring to Boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from water, skin and bone. Trim off excess fat. Set aside.
- Put the Carrots, celery and potatoes into the water that you cooked the chicken inches.
- Add the barley and rice.
- Bring the water back to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer uncovered until the carrots are tender.
- Season to taste with the bouillon granules.
- To make the dumplings:.
- Mix the egg, milk and enough flour to make the dumplings hang together. Scoop a spoonful of the dumpling mixture and drop it into the hot soup.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the dumplings are done.
- Add the chicken back into the soup and heat until desired temperature.