Recipe by Rachel Lanham
I discovered this on a blog after realizing that I was having a problem tolerating rice products. I like it for all the vegetables...it is a new twist on chicken noodle soup! Because I have a difficult time following a recipes, mine did not turn out quite like it is suggested. I always toss in more of everything as if I am feeding an army! Also, I threw in the oat groats with the broth and cooked it while all the vegetables, which I use mostly frozen, so no chopping for me! Sadly, the bouillon had corn in it - so better luck next time for a corn free meal.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked whole oat groats
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup green peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 2 1/2 cups of water and groats in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 min or until done. Do not over cook. Drain.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; saute until tender.
- Add zucchini and garlic; saute 2 minute.
- Add cooked oat groats, broth and next 5 ingredients. Simmer 10 minute.
- Stir in basil and peas.