12 hrs 5 mins
Cristina Barry's Note:
Today, I watched "Chuck's Day Off", where he made chicken nuggets for his cousins' kids. The method he used to make the nuggets intrigued me, so I am posting the recipe for safekeeping. If you try this recipe before me, let me know what you think.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Chicken Nuggets
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned and deboned
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic-flavored hot pepper sauce (recommended ( garlic-flavored Tabasco)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese)
For Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1In a large bowl, marinate the pieces of chicken in buttermilk. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator overnight. This will tenderize the chicken.
- 2Heat oil in a deep fryer. Drain and discard the buttermilk. In a food processor, combine the marinated chicken, egg, chives, Parmesan, soy sauce, garlic-flavored hot sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend until a smooth paste is formed, about 1 minute. Make about 2-inch by 1-inch nuggets, lining them up on a baking tray. In a shallow bowl, add the flour and in a second bowl the beaten eggs, and in a third bowl the panko bread crumbs. Coat the nuggets in flour, then egg, and then the panko crumbs and place the nuggets back on the tray. Deep fry in small batches until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Alternately, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large skillet and fry, turning every 2 minutes, for about 10 minutes.
- 3For the dipping sauce: Combine the mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Cook's Note: Can be made up to 1 day in advance.
- 4Cook's Note: Soaking the chicken in Buttermilk will result in tender and juicy chicken.
- 5You can buy buttermilk in the dairy product section of a supermarket, but mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar achieves the same result.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Nuggets With Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce - Chuck Hughes
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 175.9 mg
- Sodium 2348.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 30.5 g