Recipe by Chef Grandma Fran
A one pot comfort food meal. Very easy to make with minimal ingredients. If I'm out of ideas for dinner and ask around, chicken and noodles is usually suggested. My Mom made this when we were kids, now my daughter makes it for my grandson. He always says, "More noodles, please." and slurps some more down. P. S. I've even started cooking the chicken frozen in the broth. It eventually thaws out.
Top Review by Debbiekitchenwench
For my family the flavor of these spices and herbs are perfect.I used thigh quarters , skin on bone in ... Chopped in half 2 celery sticks,2 large carrots , a peel on onion. ( gives the broth a beautiful golden color.) I added 3 bay leaves along with all the other spices and herbs Then poured in 2 cans of chicken broth and enough water to cover. cooked on a low sinmmer for 90 minutes , Pulled out the chicken and dumped the big veggies , the dog loves them . pulled the chicken off the bone , disgarding the bones and skin , then chopped the chicken and back into the pot it went.Diced up another onion ,carrot and a sweet piece of celery heart tender and light green with the leaves on. Completed with home made egg noodles 95311,( the best) cooked the veggies and noodles together in the broth . and served with as salad, and bread sticks 137629 Made with matching herbs & spices from the chicken broth. served berry cream chees coffee cake for desert 24768. A complete ZAAR meal . LOL
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (Swanson's)
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 16 ounces noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash your hands before beginning. Rinse the chicken breasts under cool water and place in a dutch oven or 5 quart stock pot. Wash your hands again. Add the chicken broth and all the seasonings.
- Stir the seasonings lightly into the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 45 minutes or until chicken starts to separate a bit.
- Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and keep warm. Turn up the heat to HIGH. Pour 16 ounces of noodles into the now boiling broth, cook until done and ready to serve.