Mike loves this. Its great comfort food and so easy. It does need a long cooking time but you don't have to stand over it. I began typing up this recipe with all the revisions I have made but I think I will just keep it simple and give you the basic recipe and suggestions for improvement. The consistency of this dish should be something like a stew. You should be able to eat it with either a fork or a spoon.
My Private Note
- 1Place the chicken in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover the chicken.
- 2Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- 3Let simmer, partially covered for a few hours or until the chicken starts to fall off the bone. If the water evaporates too quickly you can cover it completely and the water wont evaporate as fast.
- 4Remove chicken from pot and debone (this is the hardest part). Discard the bones and place the chicken back in the pot.
- 5Bring back to a rolling simmer and add the pasta. Cover and cook until pasta is done, about 10 minutes.
- 6OPTIONAL ADDITIONS FOLLOW: B4 adding the chicken saute onion & garlic in a little oil. Then add carrots & celery and then the chicken and water.
- 7Add a handfull of your favorite herbs (I like a sprig of dill) either add them with the chicken or with the pasta.
- 8Add extra veggies to saute. I've used leeks and fennel.
- 9Add extra veggies of your choice with the pasta. I've used frozen peas, corn, baby corn, beans, spinach and escarole.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 822.8
- Calories from Fat 345
- Total Fat 38.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 244.3 mg
- Sodium 178.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 54.8 g