Recipe by SusieQusie
Keep all the traditional goodness of chicken tetrazzini yet whittle out some of the fat and calories. A great kid-friendly, weeknight meal to use up leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken from the deli. If you're not watching fat intake, feel free to use full-fat ingredients.
Top Review by ChardonianCook
WOW! An absolute GREAT way to use up leftover chicken!! This is so very good!! I used leftover grilled chicken as I made wayyy too much for one meal. Although, like another reviewer, I found it a little too dry for my taste. Since I didn't have ALL the ingredients on hand, I substituted low-fat sour cream for the yogurt; broccolli instead of peas; and water instead of chicken broth. I also omitted the mushrooms and added a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (drained them). It came out absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS. However, next time, I am not going to drain the diced tomatoes, for added flavor and moisture. I will most definately make this again and again!!
- 16 ounces whole wheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme, to taste (or use fresh thyme leaves)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain, cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Melt margarine in medium saucepan; blend in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute but don't let it brown.
- Slowly whisk in milk, chicken broth, thyme and black pepper.
- Cook sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in peas, yogurt and two tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- Mix together noodles, mushrooms, sauce and chicken. Taste for seasonings; add salt and more pepper if desired.
- Turn mixture into lightly greased 9"x13" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake 15 minutes or until heated through and golden brown on top.