Lorane Abari's Note:
Lots of carrots and parsnips give old-favorite chicken noodle soup a sweet savor. To balance this effect, use the optional parsley, which is just slightly bitter - or maybe cilantro
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 quarts canned low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2 quarts homemade stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 4 parsnips, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (or maybe butternut squash)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3)
- 1 cup wide egg noodles (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1In a large pot, combine the broth, onion, carrots, parsnips, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken breasts to the pot and simmer until just done, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken; bring the soup back to a simmer. When the chicken breasts are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-size pieces.
- 2Meanwhile, stir the noodles into the soup. Simmer until the vegetables are tender and the noodles are done, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken pieces to the pot and then stir in the dill and the parsley.
- 3Variations: *Skip the parsnips and raise the number of carrots to eight. *Add one diced turnip to the mix.
- 4*Use bone-in chicken breasts and cook them for an additional ten minutes. The extra time in the pot will give the soup even more flavor.
- 5Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Noodle Soup With Parsnips and Dill
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.0
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.8 mg
- Sodium 1109.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 36.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: