What could be more comforting than a big pot of homemade soup simmering on the stove top? Nothing in my opinion! Serve this wonderful soup with chunks of homemade bread and you have heaven in a bowl.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 2 quarts homemade chicken stock (or 2 quarts of low-fat, low sodium chicken broth)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 8 -10 ounces egg noodles
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in oil until translucent.
- Stir in celery, carrots, rosemary, tarragon, thyme and parsley and cook, covered, until vegetables are halfway cooked.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a large pot and pour in chicken broth.
- Simmer over low heat, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken breast pieces and egg noodles and simmer, covered, 30 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Very yummy. I made a quick version, using high quality canned chicken, measuring nothing, and simmering everything simultaneously in the same pot after browning the onions. The herbal flavor really came through.
Lovely soup! I did add 1 cup of frozen vegetables and was happy to have all my fresh herbs ready for the pot. I made it in my slow cooker; this is a keeper.Thanks for posting. I made this for ZWT5. Rita