Recipe by Suzanne S.
I made this out of my Barefoot Contessa cookbook yesterday, with just a few changes. I'm offering it here as written, since Ina knows best :) The changes I made were using Turkey carcus for the broth and picking off the turkey meat to add back to the soup. I also added 2 sliced green onions and cooked the veggies longer so they'd be soft. I don't like my veggies crunchy in soup. Delicious and flavorful; you won't be disappointed!
Top Review by Annacia
The end result was excellent. I found that I was really missing some onion in it so I quickly finely minced some and added it and it really helped round out the flavor. I think next time I would add a bay leaf while simmering as well. Still, it tasted very good and filled a spot that was wanting chicken noodle soup quite well. Made for Photo Tag, Dec 2013
- 1 whole chicken breast, bone in, skin on
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 quarts homemade chicken stock
- 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cup medium-diced carrot (3 carrots)
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breast on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until cooked through. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred or dice the chicken meat.
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large pot and add the celery, carrots, and noodles. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are cooked.
- Add the cooked chicken meat and parsley and heat through. Season to taste and serve.
- *I use Goodman's wide egg noodles.