Recipe by LorenLou
Fantastic homemade chicken soup recipe, slightly modified from long-time Houston-area broadcaster, Ron Stone. Feeds a crowd, and delicious with hot buttered cornbread!
Top Review by MamaJ
This is very good comfort food! I made the broth using chicken with the skins on for more flavor. I also used a combination of breasts and thighs because we love the dark meat in this family. Next time I make this I will add some veggies--maybe some celery and carrots and perhaps peas. My 7 yo DS loved this! Thanks for posting LorenLou!
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken breasts (skin on or off - your preference)
- 1 stalk celery, leaves attached,cut in chunks
- 1 carrot, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 10 -12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cans cream of chicken soup, reduced fat preferred
- 1 (12 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- dried parsley, to taste
- additional seasoning salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, just a pinch,to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer chicken, celery, carrot, onion, peppercorns and 1 T.
- seasoned salt in large dutch oven, in about 4 quarts of water until chicken begins to fall apart.
- Remove chicken from pot; let cool.
- DO NOT DISCARD BROTH.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard; shred meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside.
- Strain the veggies from the broth, pressing as much of the liquid from them as possible, through the strainer, back into the pot.
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Cook noodles in boiling broth for 6 minutes.
- Lower heat, and add bouillon cubes, stirring to mix well.
- Add undiluted chicken soup, stirring gently to dissolve lumps, but try not to break noodles too much.
- Add the shredded chicken, minced onion, and remaining seasonings to taste.