1/2 Photos of Chicken Noodle Soup
Douglas Poe's Note:
If you don't have time to make the stock, use 2 to 3 boxes of chicken broth. Bring broth to boil; add 2 to 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts diced, and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic; cook 10 to 15 minutes. Then follow the steps for the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, rinsed, giblets discarded (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, cut in large chunks
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 cups carrots, sliced or 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups celery, sliced, with leafy green tops
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chicken base (or use 3 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh or dried)
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked extra fine egg noodles
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2Place the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- 3Pour in only enough cold water to cover (about 3 quarts); too much will water will make the broth taste weak.
- 4Add the peppercorns; allow it to slowly come to a boil.
- 5Lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done.
- 6As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
- 7Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board.
- 8When chicken is cool enough to handle, discard skin and bones and shred the meat by hand; set aside.
- 9Carefully strain the stock through a fine sieve into another pot to remove the vegetable solids.
- 11Bring stock back to boil.
- 12Add carrots, celery, onion, chicken base, garlic powder, onion powder and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 13Add parsley, pepper and egg noodles; cook for another 10 minutes.
- 14When noodles are done add chicken.
- 15Adjust seasoning by adding salt and extra pepper if needed.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.6
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 175.8 mg
- Sodium 257.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 43.0 g