Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This recipe came from a Southern Living cookbook. It was so perfect the way the cookbook said to make it, that I kept it just that way.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 8 -10 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked fine egg noodles
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bring to aboil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 1/2 hours or until tender. remove chicken from broth, discard bay leaf. remove skin, bone chicken, and dice meat; set aside.
- Add carrot and onion to broth; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add chicken and noodles, cook an additional 15 minutes.
Made this for my family of 6- will need to double the batch next time! Used 2 bone-in skin on chicken breasts and cut up meat from 1 for the soup (plenty!) and chopped up and froze the second one for a pot pie later in the week. I also added chopped celery with the carrots and onion. Y-U-M-M-Y!
I have the cookbook that this recipe came from and I use it all the time! Its awesome...I use my leftover chicken carcass and meat from a prior dinner when I make it...works out just fine!
This was an excellent Chicken Noodle Soup... I poached boneless chicken breasts and used Chicken broth, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly... It was a great meal and made great leftovers for work... Thanks so much... Can't wait to have it again... Shelly