Recipe by dividend
This is a refinement of a recipe I created when my boyfriend was sick, and I wanted to make chicken noodle soup from what we had on hand. For the authentic poor college student version - use 1 can of Swanson's chicken broth + 1 cup water, and a brick of ramen noodles. I get nostalgic just thinking about it. But I like this version better.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 4.92 ml dried thyme leaves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 1 cooked chicken breast, cubed (about 1 cup meat)
- 236.59 ml wide egg noodles
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the curly noodles in plenty of salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion, mince the garlic, peel and dice the carrot, and dice the celery.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, and bay leaf, with a good pinch of salt. Cook, stiring often, for 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the drained noodles and the chicken, and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
- I like this with lots of freshly ground black pepper on top.