Recipe by Sydney Mike
This Asian-style slaw is a meld of many flavors & has a bit of a crunch as well! With the chicken it becomes more than just a satisfying side dish! Preparation time does not include time needed to shred the cabbage & carrot, nor the time taken to chop the chicken. Time that could be cut back by purchasing a pre-packaged cabbage-&-carrot coleslaw & using previously cooked, chopped & frozen chicken. The time also does not include the 4-8 hours for the slaw to chill. NOTE: On June 2011, I edited the recipe to include a 2nd can of mandarin orange segments, make the peanuts optional, AND increase the servings from 8 to 12-14.
Top Review by Annacia
This made our dinner tonight and it was yummy indeed. I omitted the peanuts and used green olives (what I had) for an easy and light summer meal. The amount was trimmed back to 4 servings so we have leftover for lunch tomorrow. We each mixed the dressing into our salad servings to our liking as I enjoy a very light amount while DH likes more than I do.
FOR THE SLAW
- 1 medium head of cabbage, sliced thin & slightly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & shredded (or a 1-pound bag of prepared coleslaw instead of the cabbage & carrot)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded (about 1 lb)
- 2 (2 7/8 ounce) packages low-fat oriental-flavor ramen noodle soup mix (reserve the 2 packets of seasoning to use in the dressing)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can pitted black olives, sliced
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange segments, drained
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts (optional)
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 (1/2 ounce) packets noodle flavoring (from ramen noodle soup mix)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE SLAW ~ Somewhat crush the noodles in their clear cellophane envelopes, then make sure larger clumps are separated.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage & carrot OR USE A 1-POUND BAG OF PREPARED COLESLAW, the shredded meat, ramen noodle, water chestnuts, onions, olives & orange segments, then set aside.
- FOR THE DRESSING ~ In a small bowl, whisk together both seasoning packets, vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Pour this over the slaw, & toss to coat.
- In another small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise & milk, then carefully stir into the slaw.
- Cover & refrigerate at least 4 hours (& preferably overnight) before serving.