Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 19 mins
This yummy stick to your ribs soup is sure to please even the pickiest eaters in your family.
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken wings (remove wing tips)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley flakes, for garnish
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2⁄3 cup 10% cream
- 2 cups egg noodles
- In a large soup pot, put chicken pieces, broth, parsnips, carrots, celery, onions and salt and pepper. Add water to cover chicken, if necessary.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add frozen peas.
- Mix Bisquick and cream together. Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling soup. Reduce heat, cook for 10 minutes, uncovered. Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until dumplings are done.
- Meanwhile, cook 2 cups egg noodles in boiling, salted water 8-10 minutes or to desired doneness. Drain.
- Remove dumplings to a plate with a slotted spoon. In each soup bowl, place some of the noodles. Top with 2 pieces of the chicken and some of the soup. Add 2 dumplings to each bowl and garnish with parsley, if desired.
This was very good...we really enjoyed the flavor of the soup and like Mikekey I would not have thought to add parsnips but I did enjoy them. DH and I also thought that dumpling and noodles were a little too much together (need just one) but we did enjoy the soup and would make it again with just dumplings or noodles. Good luck! Made for RSC.
Nice take on an old "comfort food". Loved the parsnips in this. I had never thought of putting parsnips in soup, but will more often now that I have tried it. I would do either noodles or dumplings next time, but not both, though. Made for RSC.