Recipe by CHEF GRPA
Comfort your tummy with this dreamy bake of chicken, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, sour cream and tender egg noodles. Cracker crumbs sauteed in butter makes a deliciously crunchy topping.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled buttery round cracker
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Poach chicken in a large pot of simmering water. Cook until no longer pink in center, about 12 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Bring chicken cooking water to a boil and cook pasta in it. Drain. Cut chicken into small pieces, and mix with noodles.
- In a separate bowl, mix together mushroom soup, chicken soup, and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir together cream soup mixture with the chicken mixture. Place in a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan, and remove from heat. Stir in crumbled crackers. Top casserole with the buttery crackers.
- Bake at 350*F. for about 30 minutes, until heated through and browned on top.
- My Note: I couldn't help but tweak it a little since there was such great opportunity for flavor enhancement. Sometime I added a couple of cloves of garlic, 2 stalks of finely diced celery, and 1/2 of a small onion, also finely diced. I also added about 1/2 teaspoons of thyme, and about 1/2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables. I increased the cooking time to about 45-50 minutes, so that the added vegetables would get cooked. The last thing I changed was I added about 3/4 can of milk to the soup mixture to give it a little moisture so it wouldn't dry out.
- Update: I sprinkled the chicken w/kosher salt & fresh ground pepper and spinach & herb seasoning that I get from Tastefully Simple -- but you could use any herbs you like. Then I browned it over fairly high heat in butter and olive oil, removed the chicken and set aside. Added about 1/2 cup chicken broth to the pan and scraped up all those yummy bits, then added the chicken back to the pan and covered & cooked till done. Remove chicken and reduce broth by half (1/4 cup). I cooked the noodles in water and the remaining chicken broth from the can, drained & added the cut chicken to the noodles. Mixed cr. of chicken w/ herbs soup & mush soup w/ sour cream & added the reduction. Mixed that w/ a little more herb seasoning. Added chicken & noodles & combined well. Topped w/ shredded cheddar and cracker crumb mixture. WOW! My son ate 3/4 of the casserole and my grandchildren LOVED it! A definite add to the rotation!