Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Win over your dinner crowd with this scrumptious chicken-noodle casserole. For a crispy topper, simply combine pieces of fresh bread, chopped onion, and celery. Budget dinner price: $0.98 per serving.
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chicken legs or 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice bread
- 1 (12 ounce) packagejumbo egg noodles or 1 (12 ounce) packageextra-large egg noodles
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream, dip or 1 (8 ounce) containercheddar French onion dip or 1 (8 ounce) container French onion dip
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a Dutch oven cook two-thirds of the celery and two-thirds of the onion in hot oil over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chicken, pepper, thyme, and salt; cook for 2 minutes. Add 6 cups of water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, for topping, tear bread in small pieces. Finely chop remaining celery and onion. In a small bowl toss together the bread, celery and onion; set aside.
- With a slotted spoon transfer chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly. Add noodles to simmering broth; boil gently for 7 to 8 minutes, just until tender, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon transfer noodles, celery, and onion to a 3-quart baking dish.
- For sauce, in a bowl whisk together sour cream dip and flour. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot broth until smooth. Add sauce to broth in Dutch oven; cook and stir until boiling.
- Meanwhile, discard skin and bones from chicken. Chop chicken, then add noodles in dish. Gently stir in sauce. Sprinkle with topping, then lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes until casserole is heated through ad topping begins to brown. Top with parsley just before serving.