Recipe by Mrs. Regan
My husband's favorite meal ever is Tuna Noodle Casserole. I didn't have and tuna on hand when I went to make this, so I used chicken and put an italian twist on it.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made a few small changes when preparing this recipe ~ I used lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, cream of chicken soup instead of the mushroom kind, & bread crumbs from whole grain bread! All for the good, because the resulting casserole was wonderfully tasty! Easy to put together & a great meal as well! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
- 6 chicken breast tenders
- olive oil, for sauteing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 dry sherry
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan while you season each side of the chicken tenders with salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and onion powder. When oil is hot, add half of the chicken tenders. Brown on one side 2-3 minutes, and flip. Cook until both sides are golden grown and chicken is just cooked through.
- Remove cooked tenders to a paper towel-lined plate. Add a little more olive oil to pan if necessary and let it come back to temperature. Add remaining chicken tenders and cook til those are golden on each side.
- Place onto paper towel-lied plate. While chicken rests, add diced zucchini to pan and heat through, stirring frequently. De-glaze the pan with dry sherry, and turn heat down to medium. Add cream of mushroom soup to the pan and heat through, stirring occasionally. Lower heat to low and simmer.
- Dice the chicken into one inch cubes and toss together with the cooked and drained noodles.
- Add cheese and milk together slowly with the soup mixture (if you mix the cheese in too quickly it will clump together). Start with 1/2 cup of milk and add more if you want a creamier consistency.
- Mix noodles, chicken, and sauce together and pour into a baking dish.
- Combine Parmesan and bread crumbs and spread evenly on top of casserole.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbly.