Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe uses no crust. You could if you want to though. It's a comfort food that will warm you innards up! You can add most anything to it. The mushrooms you can use fresh or canned. I like the fresh. Seasonings are to taste. Try more or different seasonings too! Try a different cheese. Try adding some left over ham or crumbled bacon to the dish too. Note: 15 minutes of the cook time is included in the cooking time.
- 12 ounces dry egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced thin
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cansheart healthy cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mushrooms
- 3 cups chicken or 3 cups turkey, cubed and cooked
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies (any heat)
- garlic powder
- Cook noodles in boiling water until done and drain.
- In large skillet, saute carrots, celery, and onions till tender.
- Stir in soups, milk, and cheese.
- Cook, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.
- In a large bowl, mix noodles. cheese sauce mixture, mushrooms, chicken, sauted vegetables, and seasonings (to taste).
- Pour into a sprayed 3 quart (or 13 X 9) baking pan and even out.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot.
- Serve with hot rolls.