Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A la nicoise is a French phrase that means "as prepared in Nice", typifying the cuisine found in and around Nice. A nicoise salad typically contains tuna which can be substituted for the chicken in this recipe.
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped OR
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 4 medium new potatoes, cut into quarters
- 10 ounces green beans
- 6 cups bibb lettuce, bite-size pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut up
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup pitted whole ripe olives
- Prepare Dijon Vinaigrette.
- Place potatoes and enough water to cover in 2 qt saucepan.
- Heat to boiling.
- Cook over medium heat 10 - 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Stir in green beans.
- Cook 5 minutes longer; drain.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Arrange lettuce on large serving platter.
- Top with chicken.
- Arrange potatoes, beans, tomatoes, eggs and olives around edge of platter.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Love, love this dressing! It's tough to find really good salad dressings that don't have sweetener. I used 1/2 cup safflower oil instead of the 2/3 cup. In my grocery store, the Bibb lettuce is labeled as Boston lettuce - thought I would mention that in case someone else also can't find it.
Excellent!! I love Nicoise salads and I love the dressing on this one. I thought I had tarragon vinegar in my pantry, but I must have thrown it out. I used rice wine vinegar and it was still an outstanding dressing. I used pitted kalamata olives. The flavor combination is delicious. Don't omit a thing! For these reasons, I'm tucking this recipe into my best-of-the-best file.
We love entree salads, especially variations on the Nicoise. For our tastes I halved the oil, omitted the mustard, eggs and tarragon and added blue cheese. Manzanilla green olives were great in this, but Kalamatas would be a good choice too. All the flavors come together to make an extremely delicious salad!