Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is truly comfort food!! Can be prepared with low-fat cheese and low-fat, low-sodium soup to reduce the fat content in this recipe.
- 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices swiss cheese, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions.
- Transfer to a greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan or casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper; place over stuffing.
- Top with cheese.
- Drizzle with butter.
- Combine soup and water; spoon over stuffing.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear.
We enjoyed this casserole and it was so easy to put together. I used 4 very large chicken breasts and shredded swiss cheese instead of sliced. Along with brown rice and a salad, we had a great supper.
I doubled the stuffing and used chicken tenders; otherwise everything else as listed. It was outstanding and very easy. What's better than that?
Using a recipe for cream of mushroom soup and not adding all the salt, made this a low sodium meal that came out great! Healthier and delicious too. Can't ask for any better than that!