Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy, flavorful family food from Southern Living.
Make and share this Chicken 'n' Spinach Pasta Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I used 10 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts (I used chopped rotisserie chicken from the grocery deli)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare rigatoni acoording to package directions.
- Meanwhile, spread oil on bottom of an 11x7" baking dish; add onion in a single layer. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or just until tender. Transfer onion to a large bowl and set aside.
- Drain thawed spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towls.
- Stir rigatoni, spinach, chicken and next 4 ingredients into onion in bowl. Spoon mixture into baking dish, and sprinkle evenly with shredded mozzarela cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
This was so delicious! What a great use of the chive and onion cream cheese. My husband said it was five stars. I agree with TheBabblingHousewife that this could use a little more moisture. This dish was so yummy that I'm going to make it for a friend on Friday when she comes home from the hospital. But, I will add marinara or sour cream and garlic salt. I did not drain my diced tomatoes. I also seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper before cooking it. I also mixed the cheese in with the pasta as well as topped it after 30 minutes with more cheese. It only stayed in the oven for about 3 minutes the second time in. Yum yum. Thanks!
I did modify a bit, using what I had on hand. I had regular fat free cream cheese so I added onion and garlic powders, some minced garlic...and after tasting and needing a little spice I added 1 T. hot sauce. I wanted to add moisture as well and just added a little of the pasta water. I used fresh spinach....It was wonderful.
I added a small jar of Ragu Traditional Spaghetti sauce over the top, before topping with Mozarella shredded cheese....AWESOME! My family loved it!!