Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy, flavorful family food from Southern Living.
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I used 10 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped)
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts (I used chopped rotisserie chicken from the grocery deli)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) container chive & onion cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Prepare rigatoni acoording to package directions.
- Meanwhile, spread oil on bottom of an 11x7" baking dish; add onion in a single layer. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or just until tender. Transfer onion to a large bowl and set aside.
- Drain thawed spinach well, pressing between layers of paper towls.
- Stir rigatoni, spinach, chicken and next 4 ingredients into onion in bowl. Spoon mixture into baking dish, and sprinkle evenly with shredded mozzarela cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until bubbly.
This was so delicious! What a great use of the chive and onion cream cheese. My husband said it was five stars. I agree with TheBabblingHousewife that this could use a little more moisture. This dish was so yummy that I'm going to make it for a friend on Friday when she comes home from the hospital. But, I will add marinara or sour cream and garlic salt. I did not drain my diced tomatoes. I also seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper before cooking it. I also mixed the cheese in with the pasta as well as topped it after 30 minutes with more cheese. It only stayed in the oven for about 3 minutes the second time in. Yum yum. Thanks!
This was a very tasty recipe! I had to modify it a bit because of what I had on hand so I used ricotta instead of the packaged cheese. I mixed the ricotta with a bit of cream and added mozzarella and Italian herbs. My family asked me to save the recipe so we could have it again. Thanks so much for sharing!
This was great! Love the addition of the chive cream cheese and a great way to use up leftover chicken! Great for weeknight meals as it's simple to put together and then you can put it in the oven and forget about it! Comes out bubbly and golden, this disappeared within minutes!