Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Betty Crocker slow Cooker Favorites. I mixed the rice right into the soup and served it with hot cornbread. It was delicious!
- 3⁄4 lb chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 lb fully cooked smoked sausage (I used Little Smokies)
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, sliced (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- red pepper sauce
- Mix chicken, sausage, celery, carrot, onion, tomatoes, water, bouillon granules, and thyme in 4- to 5- quart.
- slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low for 61/2 to 7 hours.
- Add thawed okra and cook for 20 minutes longer.
- Spoon soup over rice in individual soup bowls.
- Serve with red pepper sauce.
A truly tasty soup! Cooked on stovetop rather than crockpot and otherwise followed recipe. Very delicious and the aroma as it was cooking made both my husband and I anxious to taste.Very easy to make. I Thank You for posting this recipe, and I will make this again.
It seems that everything I put in my slow cooker turns to gold. This was no exception! I served it over the hot rice with warm cornbread muffins. My mom and boyfriend said it was the best they had ever had! Thanks!
Very good! The changes I've made are using baby carrots (instead of cut up carrots), using Rotel tomatoes, 1 cup chicken broth and veg bouillion (out of chicken). I also added dry rice to the mixture but forgot to increase the liquid to cook the rice, so it was very thick--just how we like it--but I think it would be even better using the cooked rice as specified. Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having again soon!