Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
A different but delicious kind of cabbage rolls.
- 12 large whole green cabbage leaves
- 1⁄4 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add cabbage leaves and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until cabbage leaves are tender. Drain, rinse under cold running water.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in large skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Remove 1/2 cup onion mixture. Add tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, lemon juice and allspice to onion mixture in skillet.
- Cook, uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread 1/3 cup tomato sauce over bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Combine reserved onion mixture, chicken, rice, egg, salt and black pepper; mix well.
- Place about 1/3 cup mixture in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold sides over filling; roll up.
- Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, on sauce in pan. Spoon remaining sauce evenly over cabbage rolls.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until very tender.