Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 40 mins
From the ranch. Not to be enjoyed by dieters looking for fat free, low cloresteral health food. This is for hungry hard workin' cowboys.
- Cut chicken into serving pieces and place in a large pot.
- Cover chicken with water.
- Add the onion, celery and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove chicken.
- Strain and measure broth.
- There should be approximately 4 cups of broth.
- If there is more, reduce by boiling; if less, add water.
- Mix flour with a little cold water to form a smooth paste.
- Stir into broth and heat until thickened.
- Add cream, salt, sage, thyme and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from bones and return meat to gravy.
- Prepare dumplings and drop by spoonfuls into hot gravy.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes with out removing lid.
- Serve chicken surrounded by dumplings on a large, deep platter.
- Dumplings: Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Mix egg and milk and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Drop into hot gravy and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Serve with hearty root veggies on the side.
I can't believe that I didn't review this fantastic recipe, Derf. At least, I saw that I hadn't. It's a marvelous recipe; enjoyed by this workin cowgirl (you said for workin cowboys. LOL)