2 hrs 30 mins
Chef #295390's Note:
I haven't tried this yet, but these are supposed to be the same as the Cracker Barrel meal which I LOVE. It's just chicken and dumplings and creamy white gravy at the end. I got this off of the Post-Gazette website. They noted that they found that they needed about 3/4 cup more flour than the recipe called for. They added 1/4 cup of flour at a time to get the dough to rolling consistency and added 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chicken and broth
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, cut up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -6 whole fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- 2Add the chicken, 1 teaspoon of salt, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and parsley to the pot.
- 3Reduce the heat to simmer and cook the chicken, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- 4The liquid will reduce by about one third.
- 5When the chicken has cooked, remove it from the pot and set it aside.
- 6Strain the stock to remove all the vegetables and floating scum.
- 7You want only the stock and the chicken, so toss everything else out.
- 8Pour 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) of the stock back into the pot (keep the leftover stock, if any, for another recipe - it can be frozen).
- 9Add coarsely ground pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the tablespoon of lemon juice, then reheat the stock over medium heat while preparing the Dumplings.
- 10For the Dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and milk in a medium bowl.
- 11Stir well until smooth, then let the dough rest for 5 to 20 minutes.
- 12Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to about a 1/2-inch thickness.
- 13Cut the dough into 1/2-inch squares and drop each square into the simmering stock.
- 14Use all of the dough.
- 15The Dumplings will first swell and then slowly shrink as they partially dissolve to thicken the stock into a white gravy.
- 16Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until thick. Stir often.
- 17While the stock is thickening, the chicken will have become cool enough to handle.
- 18Tear all the meat from the bones and remove the skin.
- 19Cut the chicken neatly into bite-size pieces and drop them into the pot.
- 20Discard the skin and bones.
- 21Continue to simmer the chicken and dumplings for another 5 to 10 minutes, but don't stir too vigorously or the chicken will shred and fall apart.
- 22You want big chunks of chicken in the end.
- 23When the gravy has reached the desired consistency, ladle four portions onto plates and serve hot.
- 24Serve with your choice of steamed vegetables, if desired.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken 'n' Dumplings -- Cracker Barrel Style
Serving Size: 1 (1232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1018.2
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 264.7 mg
- Sodium 2182.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 72.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh parsley leaves