Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This chicken casserole is great...chicken smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce on top of broccoli with a buttery bread crumb topping, and a great way to use any leftover chicken that you might have from yesterdays supper, great with leftover turkey too...delicious!
- 10 ounces fresh broccoli stems or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2-1/-3 cups)
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk, fat-free is okay (2/3 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Steam the broccoli spears until tender-crisp, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain, and blot dry on paper towels.
- Arrange on bottom of baking pan.
- Evenly place chicken over the broccoli; set aside.
- FOR SAUCE: heat butter in a skillet over medium heat, swirl to coat bottom of skillet.
- cook the mushrooms, until they have released their juices (about 7-9 minutes); increase heat to high, cook, uncovered for another 1-2 minutes more, and let liquid evaporate; set aside don't drain the butter, leave in skillet.
- In a the same skillet, pour in the broth and evaporated milk; whisk in the flour until thick (about 3 minutes), add in the cooked mushrooms back in, with the Parmesan cheese and green onions, black pepper and a Pinch of nutmeg (if using); stir to combine well.
- Pour the cooked sauce over the chicken and broccoli in the baking dish.
- Mix all topping ingredients together; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.