This is a very easy and tasty chicken dish, thanks to the wonderful creamy mustard sauce. To make the dish richer,use margarine or butter instead of the cooking spray. You can also use whipping cream instead of the fat-free half and half. You can use any type of mushroom, depending on your preference. I like baby bellas.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary (optional)
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup cooking sherry
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons half & half light cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- cornstarch (optional)
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Heat to medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with thyme, rosemary (optional), salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken in the preheated skillet and cook 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the chicken stock and sherry. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook uncovered until the mushrooms are tender.
- Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan; keep warm.
- Add the half and half and mustard to the skillet. Whisk together to blend. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. If desired, thicken sauce with cornstarch -- be careful -- it is easy to get it too thick.
- Return the mushrooms to the skillet, and serve the sauce and mushrooms over the chicken.