Recipe by Greffete
I've been wanting chicken stuffed peppers but can't eat acidic stuff right now (limited tomato). This is quick, light, super easy and tastes great. I think it could be a great make ahead bake later but haven't tried to do it yet, as I just thought this one up today! I really hope you like it as much as we did!
- 2 large green bell peppers, halved from stem to blossom end and seeded, stem removed
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, 3/4 to 1 inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese (I use Veggie Shreds Soy Cheese) or 4 ounces fat-free monterey jack cheese, shredded, separated into half (I use Veggie Shreds Soy Cheese)
- 4 ounces honey-baked ham or 4 ounces smoked ham, thin sandwich slice
- 1 medium tomatoes, very thin slice, enough to cover each pepper half
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- salt & pepper
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked per package directions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In 11x7-inch or 9x13-inch glass or microwavable pan, microwave pepper halves cut side down in approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch water, at half power (depends on microwave as they vary) for 4-5 minutes (until tender crisp), drain excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat 1 T Olive Oil over Med High heat.
- Season Chicken with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add chicken and mushrooms to skillet, sauté 2-3 minutes, add onion, garlic and 1/2 of chicken stock.
- Sauté uncovered until chicken stock is evaporated/absorbed.
- In same glass pan, line the inside of each pepper half with ham slices to cover, add 1/4 of halved cheese to each pepper, stuff with chicken mixture and top with thin tomato slices.
- Pour remaining chicken stock over top, cover loosely with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil baste each pepper with stock in pan, then cover with remaining cheese.
- Return to oven for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- While peppers are cooking prepare noodles.
- I like to substitute 1 chicken bouillon cube for the optional salt to the cooking water.
- Prepare according to package directions, drain and toss with remaining olive oil.
- To serve: Place stuffed pepper on bed of noodles and spoon juice from pan over noodles.