Recipe by Jellyqueen
I love soup from scratch, but every now and then, I take the easy way out. This is one of the recipes I use for leftover meat. I usually use chicken, but it will work with any type of meat.
Top Review by Outta Here
Delicious! This was the perfect Friday after work dinner; easy to put together with leftovers. I used some leftover pumpkin risotto, so the soup thickened up without adding the cornstarch. Thanks for posting this!
- 2 cups cooked meat, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 3 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oil in large stockpot.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped cooked chicken.
- Add the next 7 ingredients and cook on medium for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Add rice and heat through.
- If you prefer a thicker type soup, combine the optional ingredients to form a paste and add to soup mixture.
- Bring back to a slow boil.
- Remove bay leaf.