Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Healthy comfort food - this is a delicious high protein, low fat, carbohydrate-rich meal that encourages your body to wind down at the end of a stressful, busy day. Don't forget that the alcohol burns off, making this a perfect filling meal for kids too.
- 2 chicken breasts, chopped roughly into small pieces
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 quart chicken stock, hot
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 10 1⁄2 ounces risotto rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 7 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (can be button but the dark flat mushrooms give a deeper flavour)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce flat leaf parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese, shaved
- Put the dried mushrooms in a bowl, pour over enough hot water to cover and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Pop the stock in a pan and keep it at simmering point.
- Melt the butter in a large pan on a medium heat and add the onion and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the chicken and cook gently until the pieces are turning lightly golden brown for 4-5 minutes. Add the rice and stir for a minute or so to coat it in the chicken-flavoured butter. Pour in half the white wine and let it bubble for a few minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Meanwhile, drain the porcini and squeeze out any excess liquid. Add the porcini to the rice, along with the fresh mushrooms and stir well. Add the hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring well between each addition ensuring all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the remaining white wine and let it bubble for a few minutes so the alcohol evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the rice is tender and the risotto is thick and creamy remove from the heat and leave to rest for about 30 seconds, before garnishing with the parsley and some shavings of Parmesan cheese.