Absolutely one of the best risottos I have made. It is a creamy risotto guaranteed to make you groan in delight when eating it. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did. The most time consuming part is all the stirring - but its good for the arms!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 -2 piece skinless chicken breast (cut into 1/2 inch pieces, if you hagve a large piece, then 1 piece will be sufficient)
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (heated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 large chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- salt & pepper
- In a large pot heat oil and add mushrooms and chicken and cook through until cooked. Remove from pot.
- Using the same pot, add butter and saute onions and garlic in butter and leftover oil mixture until translucent. Add the rice and stir until the rice turns opaque - about two minutes.
- Add the wine, salt and pepper to the rice and stir frequently until the wine has been absorbed into the rice.
- Add 1/2 cup of the heated chicken stock and stir frequently until absorbed. The rice and broth should bubble gently.
- Continue to cook the rice, adding chicken stock 1/2 cup at a time and allowing the rice to absorb it before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- Cook rice this way until tender which should take about 25-30 minutes.
- Just before the last batch of stock has been absorbed into the rice, add the chicken and mushroom mixture back into the pot. Stir through.
- Add 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese, the parsley and the cream and stir through.
- Remove from heat when all the remaining stock has been absorbed and the risotto mix is a thick creamy consistency.
- Serve immediately. The remaining parmesan can be added to each serve if requested.