Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is always requested when all "the boys" come over for a game. You can make the filling ahead of time and just warm up before putting it in the tortillas. I serve this with sour cream, salsa and Zaar posted "Wholly Guacomole". Hope you enjoy!
- 10 count flour tortillas
- 1 -2 chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 15 ounces goya black bean soup (drained and rinsed)
- 10 ounces sliced mushrooms (crumbled, not too small)
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup chunky salsa
- 8 -16 ounces shredded mexican cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it)
- Add a tad of butter to a fry pan and add onions and mushrooms.
- When all the water that was released from the mushrooms has evaporated, add the cooked chicken, salsa, green chiles and drained and rinsed beans. In case you are wondering, why rinse the beans? There is so much flavor packed into those little guys from soaking in the soup broth and you don't want a soggy tortilla. Anyhow, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly butter one side of the tortilla and place in frypan (medium-low), add just enough cheese for the filling to stick to. Add the warm filling and top with more cheese. Top with another tortilla that has been lightly buttered on the side facing up. When cheese has melted on the bottom, carefully flip.
- Remove to plate when the other side has melted. I use a pizza roller to cut into 4 wedges.
This is a great quesadilla! I scaled the recipe down to make 1 quesadilla. I didn't have the green chilies I thought I had, so just minced some green pepper and sauted it with the mushrooms. I enjoyed the flavor and texture of the black beans in this. Served it with a dollop of sour cream for dipping and just loved it - thanks for sharing! Made for Spring PAC 2009