Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is just what you need on a cold night. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
Make and share this Chicken & Mushroom Puff Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken to taste and fry for 5-8 mins until golden brown, turning occasionally. You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and tip the bacon into the pan. Fry for 5 mins until crisp. Add the onion, mushrooms and thyme, then fry on a high heat for another 3 mins until the onions start to colour.
- Tip the flour into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute With the pan off the heat, gradually stir or whisk in the stock, followed by the milk, then add the chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes Spoon the filling into a large pie or baking dish (approx 8 x 12in) with a lip and leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 425°F On a floured surface, roll the pastry to 1/4in thick. Cut a long strip as wide as the rim of the pie dish and, using a little of the egg, fix to the edge of the pie dish. Brush with egg, then lift the rest of the pastry over the pie, using the rolling pin to help.
- Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim with a sharp knife. Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake for 30 mins or until the pastry is risen and dark golden brown.
Yes, this is a very delicious and comforting pie. Perfect for these cold, dark English nights. Use big chunks of chicken and you can let it reduce on the hob for longer. I used ready-made puff pastry which I always keep in the freezer for those times when you want an easy pie that will be even more delicious as leftovers.<br/><br/>I added tarragon because I love tarragon with chicken, and I used a little extra flour at to make the chicken filling extra thick.<br/><br/>thanks for the lovely recipe. I will be going back to this often!