Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious way to use leftover chicken, with sauteed mushrooms and onion, melted cheese, and avocado. Accented with pesto spread, on a crusty roll. Vary ingredient quantities to suit what you have, and what you like. Makes a light supper or hearty lunch when accompanied with soup or salad. Recipe is for a single sandwich, but can easily be multiplied.
- 1 crusty sandwich roll, split
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces cooked chicken, sliced
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1⁄4 avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine mayo, mustard, and pesto. Spread lightly on each half of the sandwich roll.
- Heat oil in small skillet. Saute mushrooms and onions until tender. Remove from heat.
- Assemble sandwich: On bottom, place sliced chicken. Top with sauteed onions and mushrooms, with cheese slice on top of all. Place loaded sandwich bottom and top on baking sheet, and place in 350F oven. Heat until cheese is melted. (You could also heat on the rack of a toaster oven).
- Remove from oven. Add avocado, salt and pepper to taste. Top with other half of roll.