Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Not feeling well? I wasn't and I decided to make a nice healthy healing pot of soup. Aah the comfort! This is a quick make soup with the root ingredients grated takes no time to cook. You can also incorporate cooked noodles, or rice Naturally produced miso, (pronounced mee-so) is “a delicious all purpose, high-protein seasoning. A nutritious balance of natural carbohydrates, essential oils, minerals, vitamins, and protein of the highest quality, containing all of the essential amino acids. Also known as fermented soy bean paste, is an excellent source friendly bacteria. “Unpasteurized miso is a "living food" containing natural digestive enzymes, Lactobacillus, and other microorganisms which aid in the digestion of all foods, and which have been shown to ward off and destroy harmful microorganisms, thereby creating a healthy digestive system.”(source: www.southrivermiso.com)” You don't want to cook the miso. Just before serving add it to hot water then stir into the soup and serve.
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed (boneless, skinless) or 3 -4 cups leftover shredded chicken
- 1 tablespoon sliced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil or 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 3 cloves black garlic or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated ginseng roots
- 1⁄4 cup grated burdock root (optional)
- 1 -2 cup chopped arugula or 1 -2 cup spinach, well washed and stems trimmed
- 3 ounces enoki mushrooms, separated
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 baby king mixed mushrooms, julienned
- 2 -4 tablespoons miso, i used light in sodium (to taste)
- green onion, tops removed thinly sliced
- toasted sesame oil
- salt, soy, tamari to taste
- cabbage kimchi, to taste
- In a medium sauce pan bring water or chicken broth to a boil.
- Add ingredients chicken trough the mushrooms. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and remove from heat. In one cup hot water whisk in the miso paste - so it thins out a bit (this step is to avoid clumping). Stir this back into the pot along with the tofu.
- Taste, and then add more miso, salt, soy a bit at a time until it is to your liking.
- Remove from the heat, and let it sit for just a minute or so. Garnish with scallions and or Sesame oil, Kimchi to taste if using.