Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Combine this with mashed taters & a veg for an economical & tasty supper. If you're a real mushroom lover, top it with (Creamy Mushroom Sauce) my Mushroom Cream Sauce!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce or 1⁄4 cup salsa or 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl& set aside.
- Cook mushrooms in butter in a skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon half the chicken mixture into an 8 X 4 inch loaf pan& smooth the surface.
- Spread the mushrooms over the chicken mixture evenly.
- Add the rest of the chicken mixture& smooth the surface.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for about 1 1/4 hours, or until a meat thermometer reaches 185F.
- Spread the sauce over the top after baking for an hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
This was hearty, great stuff. The addition of the mushroom layer was wonderful. I took your advice and topped with your mushroom cream sauce. I used 2 pounds of ground turkey (it was on sale) instead of ground chicken and topped it with tomato sauce. I've never made a meat loaf without beef in it so I was a little scared -- for no reason. So yummy! Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing.
Made with the mushroom sauce recipe #76376 as per recommendation. It was a nice loaf - I think next time I would mix the mushrooms with the chicken mixture, and maybe use only 1 cup of mushrooms (used about 2 cups now). I serverd it with some mashed potatoes.
So delicious! I ground my own chicken with my Kitchen Aid attachment, doubled the recipe, and gave one to DS, I of coarse threw in about a tablespoon of minced garlic, I also made your mushroom sauce recipe#76376 to serve with it. What a great really tasty meal. Thanks for another winner Marg! We really enjoyed it!...Kitten:)