Top Review by *Shelly*
This was hearty, great stuff. The addition of the mushroom layer was wonderful. I took your advice and topped with your mushroom cream sauce. I used 2 pounds of ground turkey (it was on sale) instead of ground chicken and topped it with tomato sauce. I've never made a meat loaf without beef in it so I was a little scared -- for no reason. So yummy! Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground chicken
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce or 1⁄4 cup salsa or 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl& set aside.
- Cook mushrooms in butter in a skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon half the chicken mixture into an 8 X 4 inch loaf pan& smooth the surface.
- Spread the mushrooms over the chicken mixture evenly.
- Add the rest of the chicken mixture& smooth the surface.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for about 1 1/4 hours, or until a meat thermometer reaches 185F.
- Spread the sauce over the top after baking for an hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.