Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from an old weight watchers cook book and though it has been a few years since I last made I will be doing tomorrow night as it is an easy tea and it can also be frozen to be used later. The original recipe uses 360 grams of cooked chicken but I usually use a small cooked chook bought from the deli. I have also upped the original recipe to feed 6, so I have 2 serves for freezing. I like Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes for the crepes but would omit the sugar for this recipe.
- 6 teaspoons butter (margarine was recommended)
- 3⁄4 cup onion (diced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 30 g plain flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 3 chicken stock cubes (crumbled or 3 teaspoons of powder)
- 1 small cooked chicken (boned and cut into 1cm cubes)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves (crushed)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups peas (tiny frozen)
- In a large saucepan heat butter (or margarine) until bubbly and hot, add the onion and saute until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add mushroom and saute for 3 minutes and then add flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes long.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually stir in water and then add crumbled stock cubes (or powder) and then return to the heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes and then add chciken and seasonings and simmer for 3 minutes longer and then stir in peas and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Serve in crepes or if freezing for later use let cool and then divide evenly into plastic freezer bags, label and freeze for future use - defrosting in the fridge overnight and then gently reheat.
This was an easy and flavorful dish - it reminded me of chicken pot pie. I used packaged crepes and had some trouble filling them without the crepes falling apart, lol. I poured the leftover sauce over the crepes that made a nice dinner. Thanks I'mPat for sharing. Made for Went To The Market Tag.