Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is the most delicious soup! I used dried chili flakes in place of cayenne pepper.
Top Review by breezermom
This was good, although I think I'll add some sherry or white wine next time...I added a little more chicken and used chicken stock instead of broth. I though it was a little heavy on basil, but I used poultry seasoning when cooking the chicken, and that has basil in it as well. Very creamy...definitely a fall/winter soup. I will make this again!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; add in the onions, garlic, basil, thyme and cayenne and mushroom slices and saute for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Add in the chicken broth, corn, cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup and sugar; mix to combine and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl whsi together the half and half cream with flour; add to the simmering soup; cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated cheddar cheese if desired.