Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe by Joanie at allrecipes.com. It's not a classic chowder, since it has no potatoes.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb cooked chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken broth and water to a boil. Stir in chicken, and season with oregano and pepper. If using raw chicken, reduce heat to a simmer and poach 15 minutes before proceeding.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and saute garlic, onion, carrot, and mushrooms until tender. Thoroughly mix in the flour. Transfer to the broth mixture.
- Stir rice and milk into the mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.