Recipe by Kiwi Kathy
A Weightwatchers recipe with 6pts value per serve. The barley gives the risotto a nice chewy texture and makes for a really filling meal. I only had brown mushrooms available so was unable to obtain the porcini and enoki mushrooms and the recipe still tasted delicious.
- 750 ml chicken stock, salt reduced
- 10 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, small and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g swiss brown mushrooms
- 200 g barley
- 80 ml dry white wine
- 100 g enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 280 g chicken breasts, BBQ'ed skinless and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chives, fresh and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken stock, porcini mushrooms and 2½ cups cold water in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and keep hot.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the quartered Swiss brown mushrooms, then cook stirring for 2 - 3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the barley and wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated.
- Add the hot stock to the barley mixture, one ladle (1/2 cup) at a time, stirring continuously, until all the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender (this should take about 40 minutes). Stir in the enoki mushrooms and chicken during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Stir in chopped chives.
- Serve risotto immediately sprinkled with cheese.
- Serve with a zero points value salad of mesclun, red onion, sliced green olives dressed in balsamic vinegar.