Recipe by littleturtle
Chicken and rice casserole with sautéed mushrooms and artichokes. Yummy and easy.
Top Review by forthefunofit
This is delicious! I doubled the curry powder and added cayenne pepper to it for some heat. Also, added a can of peas. It was sooo good. I will be making this on a regular basis! Thank you.
Chicken and Broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 onion, halved
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, chopped (1/2 carrot)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced (1 1/2 stalks)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 1⁄2 lbs skinless boneless turkey breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) package wild rice mix (such as Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice blend)
- 1 cup chicken broth (approx.)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) canquartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream of mushroom soup (3/4 can)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium heat; sauté onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in butter with curry powder until vegetables are tender (3-5 minutes).
- Add the water, chicken, pepper, and poultry seasoning; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender (40 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables to a lightly greased 2-quart casserole or baking pan, and cook rice according to package directions in the broth remaining in the skillet (subbing broth for the water called for in the package directions; you'll need to add a cup or so of broth or water to get to the amount listed) (25 minutes).
- In another skillet, melt butter, and sauté mushrooms and artichokes until tender (10 minutes).
- Combine rice, mushroom/artichoke mixture, sour cream, soup, and salt with chicken/veg mixture in casserole.
- Bake, covered, for 20-25 minutes.